Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Monday 12 January 2015

Greenland White-front

A first-winter Greenland White-fronted Goose has been lurking with the Pink-feet in NW Norfolk this winter but hasn't been seen often.  I'd not seen it yet and when I began my lunch break news broke that it was at Burnham Market.  I headed straight there but the flock of Pink-feet were right up to the track so there was no possible way of stopping without disturbing any of them.  Well I had no choice as it was the end of the track, so I turned the engine off and free-wheeled to as quiet-as-possible a stop.  The closest ones flew but most stayed put, though very alert and walking away rapidly.  I knew if I wound down my window or even raised my bins the movement would scare the rest of them off too, so I waited for them to settle down.  That meant I hadn't been able to check the ones flying off and I didn't know if the target bird was among those or left in the field.

Once they'd settled I set up my scope (staying in the car of course - to get out of the car in situations like this would just scare off the whole flock) I scanned through, quickly picking out a young Tundra Bean Goose.





Tundra Bean Goose, Burnham Market, 12th January


I spent about half an hour scanning through the flock seeing nothing else, but towards the end of the time I noticed a few geese arriving from neighbouring fields - perhaps the birds I'd flushed away at the beginning?  Then there it was, looking so obvious I can't believe it was there the whole time.  At the back of the field but in full view and very easy to pick out due to its dark plumage and orange bare parts, the first-winter Greenland White-fronted Goose.






Greenland White-fronted Goose, Burnham Market, 12th January

No comments:

Post a Comment