Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Monday lunch

Having spent most of my lunch break looking in vain for goose flocks I pulled in to the layby at Burnham Overy for a quick scan.  A distant Rough-legged Buzzard was sat on a post and a Short-eared Owl was hunting there.  I once made a list of all the birds I've seen during lunch breaks and it was quite impressive.  Don't remember what it came to but I do remember that Short-eared Owl was one of the more surprising omissions.  A few years later and I think I've managed to continue avoiding seeing any lunch-break Shorties despite spending many a lunch overlooking coastal marshes where they are regular.  Satisfying to have put that right at last.

I just had time to pop in to the car park at Burnham Norton where a Barn Owl was quartering.  On the way back to the office 2 Bullfinches moved along the hedge in front of me rounding up a surprisingly successful second-half of my lunch break.

No comments:

Post a Comment