Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Monday 12 October 2015

Catching up with an Osprey

Well I've got far behind again with the birding diary, so now to start some catching up.  Non-birding events have overtaken somewhat so despite booking a few days leave I've still managed far less birding than I would have liked. Anyway, my last post related to 8th September, so since then I have been out a little bit...

I've been out looking for migrants in my lunch-breaks quite a bit but these have generally been unproductive.  11th September was a bit better with Spotted Redshank in the channel at Thornham and nearby a Redstart by the paperbank.

Spent a good 7 hours at Burnham Overy on Saturday 12th September, starting a little later than usual (can't remember why - think the wind was due to move round to the NE later on).  A party of 34 Pink-footed Geese dropped in on my arrival, my first of the autumn.  So too were 2 Dark-bellied Brent Geese in the harbour later on.

My first Stonechat of the autumn was the first grounded migrant I found, followed by the first 2 of 6 Wheatears.

Stonechat, Burnham Overy, 12th September


The Gun Hill end was otherwise very quiet and by the time I reached the east end of the dunes I'd only added a couple more Wheatears and a Whitethroat.  Hard work!  The east end was a bit livelier with 4 Redstarts and a Spotted Flycatcher, but lacking the bounty I felt I deserved.

Redstart, Burnham Overy, 12th September



Spotted Flycatcher, Burnham Overy, 12th September


Birds moving overhead were few and far between, with the exception of Siskins, a species that is proving to be unusually numerous this autumn.  Very difficult to estimate numbers as the vast majority were heard only, flying high.  2-3 flocks that were seen numbered 44 individuals but I'd be surprised if the true number passing this day wasn't in the several hundreds.

Waders included a Ruff and at least 2 Greenshank.  Here's one of them...

Greenshank, Burnham Overy, 12th September



Pheasant, Burnham Overy, 12th September


Another attempt to find migrants at Thornham on 15th September drew a blank, but from near the paperbank at Thornham I did manage distant views of the Osprey that spent a few days lingering at Titchwell.

Osprey, Titchwell, 15th September

No comments:

Post a Comment