Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Thursday 31 December 2015

Scotland day 1

Having got horrendously behind on my diary entries during the summer I was glad when I eventually caught up - only I didn't quite, because I missed out my trip to Scotland.  So here you go, a few days in bonny Scotland, 31st May to 4th June, staying at a very nice chalet in Braemar we'd booked through Airbnb.  Shame we couldn't book the weather to go with it!

The journey up was uneventful bird-wise - a Red Kite over the A1 in Yorshire and a Comon Sandpiper just before we got to Braemar.

The cottage we stayed at has a lovely garden complete with Birch woodland and pond and my first job on arrival was to have a mosey round.  Five minutes later I'd found 2 Cuckoos, a pair of Spotted Flycatchers, a pair of Willow Warblers, a pair of Bullfinch and a pair of Siskin.  Not bad in the cold wind and rain.



Willow Warblers, Braemar, 31st May



Cuckoo, Braemar, 31st May


Robin, Braemar, 31st May


An evening drive down to Linn of Dee coincided with a brief interlude of sunshine and a sunny edge was heaving with Spotted Flycatchers - at least 3 pairs - and Tree Pipits (at least 3).  Towards the end of the road was a herd of 70+ Red Deer and a Wheatear.

Spotted Flycatcher, Linn of Dee, 31st May


Mistle Thrush, Linn of Dee, 31st May


Wheatear, Linn of Dee, 31st May



Tree Pipits, Linn of Dee, 31st May


(Move on to day 2)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment