Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Wednesday 13 January 2016

Shortie magic!

Sunday afternoon saw me doing a spot of local patch birding, partly in the hope of seeing a "Ruddy Shelduck" that Dave had seen earlier.  There was a suspicion that it might be the apparent hybrid Ruddy x Cape Shelduck that I'd seen months ago but would have liked to have got better views.  Sadly it wasn't behaving and all I managed was a few Snipe, a flock of 20 Pied Wagtails and nearby a Brambling.

Monday's lunchbreak was shorter than usual but I still managed to notch up 2-3 Barn Owls and a Grey Wagtail.

Grey Wagtail, Ingoldisthorpe, 11th January


For Tuesday's lunchtime excitement I tried to find something interesting among the Greylag Goose flock at Raynham Lake.  No luck there but that left me time to pass through Tatterford Common and there I found a large flock of finches including at least 70 Bramblings.  Very nice too.

Wednesday was better.  I headed up to the Brancaster Road where I stopped to check the Pink-feet.  Jim S was stopped there too, forcibly thanks to a blow-out, and he'd seen 2 Rough-legged Buzzards.  They didn't show for me but heading back to work I passed a Short-eared Owl in the hedge next to the track.  Having taken a record shot through the back window I reversed back past it and was surprised it didn't fly off.  Drawing up next to it I was amazed that it stayed put while I took scores of photos.  Eventually it did slowly move, but just flipped over the car and went behind the hedge the other side.
























I thought it might have continued on down the hedge slightly so I drove the short distance to the end of the hedge where I discovered it sitting on a post, posing for more photos from a different angle.  If it had flown from here I might have done a better job at getting some flight photos but if I'd stuck it out any longer I'd have been late back to work.  Fantastic experience though - never been so close to a Short-eared Owl - or probably any wild owl - for such a prolonged period.




Short-eared Owl, north of Stanhoe, 13th January

No comments:

Post a Comment