Description


A diary of my birding activity covering highlights and photos from my birding adventures. Mainly Norfolk (UK), occasionally beyond. I might mention the odd thing that isn't avian, but for moth and other insect news check out my mothing diary.

Saturday 7 May 2016

Bank holiday birding

Last Saturday birding the local patch produced few highlights, with Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat new for the year there.  Other than that nothing better than Treecreeper.

Whitethroat, Bittering, 30th April


My first 2 Swifts of the year were at home on Sunday and while I was watching them a Magpie flew past.  So what? I hear you say.  Well I can hardly believe it but 21 months or so after moving in and 72 species later this was my first Magpie here!

Also on Sunday I popped in to the patch where Dave had found 2 Whimbrel.  They were a new bird for the patch for him, though I'd heard one fly over one night before.  Anyway, they were quickly located before I headed off to the Brecks for mothing.


 Whimbrels, Bittering, 1st May


Blackcap, Bittering, 1st May


Heard Woodlark in the Brecks, and Cuckoo.  Saw Marsh Tit, Siskins and a fine Greylag Goose x Canada Goose hybrid.

Bank holiday Monday I set off for Burnham Overy early.  The cold start to the day, 3 Red-breasted Mergansers in the channel and a Fieldfare flying south all served to remind me that spring hasn't completely sprung yet.  But there were 2 Whimbrel too, several common warblers and both Little and Common Terns, and in the grazing marsh a party of at least 6 Yellow Wagtails, the first I've seen on the deck this year.

 Whitethroat, Burnham Overy, 2nd May


Sedge Warbler, Burnham Overy, 2nd May


Reed Bunting, Burnham Overy, 2nd May


Heading through the dunes towards Gun Hill I found the first 6 of 14 Wheatears along with a fine  Whinchat

Whinchat, Burnham Overy, 2nd May



 Wheatears, Burnham Overy, 2nd May


Overhead there were more Yellow Wagtails and a trickle of hirundines, along with 6 Swifts too.  Also saw a Hobby, Red Kite, Barn Owl, Spoonbill and 2 Mediterranean Gulls but grounded migrants were few and far between.

Red Kite, Burnham Overy, 2nd May

No comments:

Post a Comment